The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Robert's Rules of Order translations

Guest Davood

The claim in the Arabic version that this work has been translated into thirty languages is an obvious mistake.

In the past there has been reported to exist a Japanese translation, which edition we do not know but unlikely the 1990 edition or subsequent edition. I know of no one that has seen this work if it ever existed.

The Spanish edition that has been mentioned is in fact the translation of the 6th edition of 1951 by an outfit called UTEHA of Mexico City in 1968. This edition can be seen in its entirety at constitution.org. Be aware, however, that this version contains four major errors and the web site operator, for some unknown reason, refuses to upload the corrected version.

constitution.org also sports a Portuguese translation of the 4th edition of 1915, Parliamentary Practice, and Parliamentary Law.

There is a Russian version of the 3rd edition of 1893 that can be purchased from Liberty Publishing House, 475 Fifth Avenue, Suite 511, New York, NY 10017-6220. You may also contact them at liberty@way.com.

And finally, there is a Portuguese translation of the 11th edition of 2011 that has yet to find an interested publisher.

Your links to the Arabic and Persian versions of this work are highly appreciated. Thank you very much for mentioning them.

• 5 months later...
On ‏۰۵‏/‏۱۱‏/‏۱۳۹۴ at 5:40 PM, Guest Zev said:

The claim in the Arabic version that this work has been translated into thirty languages is an obvious mistake.

In the past there has been reported to exist a Japanese translation, which edition we do not know but unlikely the 1990 edition or subsequent edition. I know of no one that has seen this work if it ever existed.

The Spanish edition that has been mentioned is in fact the translation of the 6th edition of 1951 by an outfit called UTEHA of Mexico City in 1968. This edition can be seen in its entirety at constitution.org. Be aware, however, that this version contains four major errors and the web site operator, for some unknown reason, refuses to upload the corrected version.

constitution.org also sports a Portuguese translation of the 4th edition of 1915, Parliamentary Practice, and Parliamentary Law.

There is a Russian version of the 3rd edition of 1893 that can be purchased from Liberty Publishing House, 475 Fifth Avenue, Suite 511, New York, NY 10017-6220. You may also contact them at liberty@way.com.

And finally, there is a Portuguese translation of the 11th edition of 2011 that has yet to find an interested publisher.

Your links to the Arabic and Persian versions of this work are highly appreciated. Thank you very much for mentioning them.

Dear Zev

Sorry for delay

Here is the link to the Arabic translation:

http://www.caus.org.lb/Home/publication_popup.php?ID=137

Its Arabic name:

قواعد النظام الديمقراطية 'قواعد روبرت التنظيمية للاجتماعات'

And here is a sentence from the Arabic publisher of the book:

لم تصدر هذه القواعد ـ في أصلها أو في أي لغة من اللغات الثلاثين التي ترجمت إليها ـ من أجل أعضاء البرلمان أو المجالس التشريعية النيابية وحدهم، وإنما صدرت لتكون بين أيدي أعضاء كل تنظيم أو جمعية يمكن تصورها تهدف إلى أن تكون ديمقراطية في علاقاتها وأدائها ونتائجها. وهي أوجب ما تكون كقواعد ديمقراطية للمنظمات غير الحكومية، لمنظمات المجتمع المدني، للأحزاب والتنظيمات السياسية والاجتماعية والاقتصادية والثقافية..

I translate the red phrase:

. . . - In its original version or in each of 30 languages into them has been translated- . . .

And about Persian translation, as I mentioned, I have translated its 10th edition but I want to publish its 11th edition after being approved by Robert's Rules Association. I give its 10th edition Persian translation to my students free of charge. You can see it here:

http://www.kadrha.com/spip.php?article17

Thanks a lot

Archived