The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Town meetings

Guest Greg

We have a monthly town meeting where all town members are welcome to listen and comment.

Our town adopted RROO this year, and I question if they are using it correctly. They have a comments period at the beginning of the meeting, BEFORE anything is discussed by the board members. This makes no sense. The posted agenda is too vague to allow town members to know what the topic to be discussed will really be about. "commercial use of town land" could mean anything from canoes launching on a lake to a business using the town hall for meetings. (for example)

Our my case, I question whether RROO definition of "member" would mean member of the town, "member" of the meeting, or "member" of the board? If it is a public meeting where comment is allowed, is comment and discussion not allowed by the town members as well as the board members as the topics are being presented?

A "member" is a member of the assembly that is meeting (p. 3, ll. 1-5).  If this a board meeting, then under RONR, only the members of the board have a right to participate.  There is no requirement, in RONR, that there be a "comment period"  for nonmembers. 

That said, I have no idea what assembly is actually meeting; is it the board or of the town at large?   That will depend on  applicable statutes and/or charter and bylaws of this town say about this meeting, and, at least by implication, who are the members of the meeting.  Further, some jurisdiction require a "public comment" time for public bodies; that is also a matter of applicable statutes and/or charter and bylaws.

The first place to look for your answer will be in statute,.  That is well beyond the scope of this site. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.