The Official RONR Q & A Forums

nomination and election

Guest jack

9 minutes ago, Guest jack said:

if acclamation of vote is mistakenly not made directly; by secretary after closing nominations for an office and the meeting closes, can acclamation then be made at the next meeting, and would it be made under old or new business?

I'm not sure what you mean by "acclamation of vote is mistakenly not made directly." Could you give a little more detail?

Guest vote for office
11 minutes ago, Tim Wynn said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "acclamation of vote is mistakenly not made directly." Could you give a little more detail?

If the president; after asking third time for anymore nominations fails to ask secretary to cast lone vote(acclamation) and moves on to next nomination for different office, and keeps that pattern to the close of meeting. Can it be picked up at next meeting under old business?

33 minutes ago, Guest vote for office said:

If the president; after asking third time for anymore nominations fails to ask secretary to cast lone vote(acclamation) and moves on to next nomination for different office, and keeps that pattern to the close of meeting. Can it be picked up at next meeting under old business?

If the election was not completed, it should be completed at the next meeting. Since an item of business that is prescribed by the bylaws to be considered at a certain meeting can be regarded as a special order for that meeting, such a special order, if left unfinished at the adjournment of the session, would be taken up under Special Orders at the next session (i.e., after reading and approval of the minutes and after reports).

Edited by Tim Wynn

52 minutes ago, Guest vote for office said:

I concur with Mr. Wynn that the election may be continued at the next meeting, however, I would note that the practice of asking the secretary to cast the assembly’s vote when a candidate is elected by acclamation is, at best, antiquated and unnecessary (and at worst, is a horrendous violation of members’ rights). If the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, or require a ballot vote but provide an exception when an election is uncontested, the President simply declares the candidate elected. There is no need for the Secretary to write the name on a piece of paper.

On the other hand, if the bylaws require a ballot vote and do not provide any exceptions, than a ballot vote must be taken. Having the Secretary alone cast a ballot does not satisfy this requirement.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.