The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Assignment of Bylaw Numbering/Ordering etc.

Guest SteveN

I timely submitted a bylaw change to my convention leaving the Section number blank since I did not know where it would be placed in the bylaws or if other changes were adopted, etc., I could not anticipate. The parliamentarian ruled my submission defective because the numbering/ordering is left blank.  Is this a fair ruling?  It has no impact on the substance of the submission.  In order for our convention to take up a "new" bylaw amendment from the floor, 100% approval is required.  The ruling states that I need to get 100% support to "correct" the numbering in order to have the otherwise timely submission considered. This seem ludicrous.

34 minutes ago, Guest SteveN said:

I timely submitted a bylaw change to my convention leaving the Section number blank since I did not know where it would be placed in the bylaws or if other changes were adopted, etc., I could not anticipate. The parliamentarian ruled my submission defective because the numbering/ordering is left blank.  Is this a fair ruling?  It has no impact on the substance of the submission.  In order for our convention to take up a "new" bylaw amendment from the floor, 100% approval is required.  The ruling states that I need to get 100% support to "correct" the numbering in order to have the otherwise timely submission considered. This seem ludicrous.

You submitted a new section (stating exactly what it was to say) to be inserted into the bylaws, but failed to say where?

If we assume that your organization's rules empower its parliamentarian to make rulings of this kind (nothing in Robert's Rules of Order grants him such power), it may well be that his ruling was reasonable. Failure to specify in a requisite notice exactly where in the bylaws a proposed new section is to be inserted may render the notice ineffective, depending, I suppose, upon the particular facts involved. 

Under the rules in RONR, rulings of this kind must be made by the presiding officer during a meeting, and are appealable. I don't know if your organization's rules make any provision for appealing rulings made by its parliamentarian.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.