The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Association Board Member at Large

Guest Donna A Long

I am Vice President of an Home Owner Association that was formed 3 years ago. We have 4 officers and 2 at large members.

When we were formed nothing was discussed regarding the member's at large having a voting right. Over the three years, they have basically given their opinion that was taken into consideration.

Recently we had a special meeting. One of the members at large voted and his vote was included. Does a member at large usually have a voting right as a board member, other than that of a homeowner? I have never seen this on other boards where I have been an officer. Please advise! takedonnaalong@gmail.com

If the bylaws say that the board is constituted of four officers and two members-at-large, and makes no distinction between the officers and the members-at-large, then I would think that all six have equal voting rights. There may be something else in the bylaws, or a charter if one exists, so you need to check carefully. (There is no requirement that you include your outside email address.)

1 hour ago, Guest Donna A Long said:

Does a member at large usually have a voting right as a board member, other than that of a homeowner?

Answering your question another way: Yes.

The default in RONR is that all members of a body (in this case, the board) have equal rights, including the right to vote. Anything that takes away rights would need to be in your bylaws.

I suspect that guest Donna may have included her email address hoping for a private reply.

Guest Donna, if you are reading this, we generally do not make private replies. We post all answers on the form itself. The reason is that this forum is used as a learning tool and a research tool and it defeats the purpose if we answer privately rather than on the forum.

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction caused by typing on a cell phone

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.