The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting by standing and each person counts

Eddie Caldwell

I seem to recall something from long ago but I can't find it in the current RONR.

The voting method I recall was a standing vote but where each person counted himself and then sat down.  

So everyone in favor of a candidate stood up and then the first person in standing on the first row said One and sat down, then the next person standing said TWO and sat down etc.

Is that a valid voting method in the current RONR?  If so, can someone point me to that rule?  

Thanks!

It is called a serpentine count vote. It is a version of a counted vote. It is not specifically mentioned in RONR, but is valid. If your group is used to it (or it can be easily taught) it can be faster than the traditional counted vote.

Edited by Atul Kapur
Count instead of vote

In very large assemblies one way of ensuring accuracy in counting a rising vote is a serpentine count. Members in favor stand, then beginning with the first row each person counts off and sits down, with the count running back and forth along the rows in serpentine fashion. When all are seated the same is done with the negative vote. This minimizes the risk of any error in the count.

Sturgis, 3rd edition, pages 134-135

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
13 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

It is called a serpentine count vote. It is a version of a counted vote. It is not specifically mentioned in RONR, but is valid. If your group is used to it (or it can be easily taught) it can be faster than the traditional counted vote.

RONR briefly mentions this method at (11th ed.) p. 411. ll. 7–11.

31 minutes ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

RONR briefly mentions this method at (11th ed.) p. 411. ll. 7–11.

Indeed it does, although I disagree with RONR's assertion that the counting is "particularly subject to confusion". If (pre-coached) tellers walk back and forth pointing to the person next to count off (sort of like a musician conducting the assembly) it will go off without a hitch. That "no hitch" assertion is based on experience doing the count with 400-500 member assemblies -- you only need do it for close votes, however.

It is particularly successful with an adoption threshold of more than half the delegates present (and that number is known, of course). As soon as the "Yes" vote count reaches the magic number of more than half, everybody (well, at least half the members anyway) cheers and the uncounted folks sit down, relieved that it is over. Obviously no need to count the "No" votes. And if folks are carrying "present in proxy" votes, they get to count two (or more) numbers out. Real neat. Try it!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.