The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Sub Committees

Guest Doug Myers

My Association has a committee (#1) whose members are mandated to be members of another committee (#2). Committee #2 reports to the Board of Directors. Recently committee #1 took an issue and delegated it to a sub committee (#3) of itself. This subcommittee (#3) reported directly to the Association President but never to committee #1, #2, the Board of Directors or the Membership. The President then acted on the issue on behalf of the Association. I do not know where to begin in RONR to show them how wrong this is. The issue of committees reporting to the Board or the membership does not seem to be mandated. (I did find where subcommittee are to report back to the parent committee; however, this does not seem to fit this problem.) I would appreciate any help you could give.

15 minutes ago, Guest Doug Myers said:

I did find where subcommittee are to report back to the parent committee; however, this does not seem to fit this problem.

It seems to fit exactly. #3 is a subcommittee of #1. #1 is the parent committee of #3.

So #3 should have reported to #1. Not #2, not the Board directly, not the president. 

I took it that committee #2 was probably appointed by the Board of Directors. Sub-committee #3 was probably appointed by the members of committee #1, but I did not catch who actually appointed committee #1. Was the appointing power of committee #1 the president? I get the impression that sub-committee #3 simply bypassed their parent committee and deprived them of their discretion of presenting a different recommendation if committee #1 had a different view on the matter. This is a serious breach in my opinion. Nevertheless, as Mr. Kapur has indicated, sub-committee #3 should have reported to their parent committee and allowed them to issue their report.

Incidentally,

A committee (except a committee of the whole, 52) can appoint subcommittees, which are responsible to and report to the committee and not to the assembly. Subcommittees must consist of members of the committee, except when otherwise authorized by the society in cases where the committee is appointed to take action that requires the assistance of others.

RONR, 11th edition, page 497.

1 hour ago, Atul Kapur said:

It seems to fit exactly. #3 is a subcommittee of #1. #1 is the parent committee of #3.

So #3 should have reported to #1. Not #2, not the Board directly, not the president. 

I agree with Dr. Kapur (and guest Zev) that it seems to fit exactly.

Edited by Richard Brown
Minor edit to wording.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.