The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Finding new venue for electronic meeting

Alexis Hunt

Hypothetical question... suppose that a board (properly authorized to do so) holds a meeting via a video conferencing software. But the particular software in use does not allow the video conference to actually begin until the host of the meeting (say, the President) presses the button to do so. The President then sends an email to the rest of the board saying that they cannot make the meeting.

Ordinarily, if the members showed up to the venue to find the door locked and the only person with the key not coming, they could likely call the meeting to order just outside the door and then adjourn to someplace more convenient. But can the members do so here? Can the members who have opened the software and are now awaiting the President's attendance now communicate through some other means to call the meeting to order, such as a conference call, and adjourn it to a different software or continue it as such? The software originally chosen offers no mechanism for the members waiting to communicate; they will have to do it some other way.

I must disagree with my colleague about email meetings. I personally think they should only be used for unanimous consent motions - authorized in a clearly defined article in the bylaws. In reality, many states require it for non-profit corporations.

I work quite a bit with electronic meetings, including the development of rules for such meetings, and I also recommend that the rules adopted for electronic meetings cover what to do with the technology fails to facilitate the meeting whatever the reason. That's why special rules of order exist in the first place. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.