The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum determination

Guest Patti

How do you determine a quorum when you have one person serving in dual roles?  Say you have a board of directors with 45 positions but three of those positions are being served by one person.  Our bylaws state that "A quorum of the board of directors shall be one­ third of its members."  Is it 1/3 of 45 or 1/3 or 43?

8 minutes ago, Guest Patti said:

How do you determine a quorum when you have one person serving in dual roles?  Say you have a board of directors with 45 positions but three of those positions are being served by one person.  Our bylaws state that "A quorum of the board of directors shall be one­ third of its members."  Is it 1/3 of 45 or 1/3 or 43?

I'd say your board has only 43 members at this time, but that's just me.

On 9/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, Guest Patti said:

A member who is doing three jobs is still but one member.  Such a member counts as one member toward a quorum, and has but one vote when voting occurs.

And that's just me, but you may notice a pattern developing.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.