The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescheduled/Special Meetings

Roman.76

I have several questions regarding the procedures that were taken by the Club President to "reschedule" a meeting and other information.  The Club just became official in October of this year and currently has "acting" Board members.  I am serving on the Board.  I have attached a copy of my club's Bylaws for your reference.  We are subject to the latest edition of Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised.

Every other week on Monday, the membership has a meeting at 6:30 p.m.  Before that, the board holds it's regular meetings at 5:30 p.m. (on the same day).

This past Monday, the President cancelled both meetings due to weather concerns.  Can he cancel a meeting?  If not, what proper procedures need to be done to cancel the meeting?

During the Membership meeting, one item of business that was going to be considered was the nomination of members.  (The President knows I was considering running for president and that I was going to be nominated to the position and was not in favor of that idea.)  I will attach those agendas. 

Anyways, due to the cancellation of the meetings, a notice was sent (on the request of the President) to the Membership and the Board.

Here is the notice that was sent out: "Good evening, all: Due to the inclement weather last night, Kerr County Patriots Club has rescheduled our next general meeting for November 18th, at 6:30 PM.  We have lots of great things to discuss about the future of our club, as well as upcoming primary elections for March 2020.  So please come and bring a friend."

Does this notice suffice the notice definition as described in RONR?  If not, what is it missing?

Fist of all, the "Club" did not reschedule the meeting, the President did.  Can he reschedule meetings even if it is due to weather conditions?  I am still trying to get clarification from the President, but I assume he actually meant that he is calling a special Board meeting and a special Membership meeting.  However, our Bylaws (Secs. 4.1 & 4.2) specify that regular Board meetings are determined by the Board, which the Board decided to have them before the regular Membership meetings, and regular Membership Meetings are held biweekly, which would mean the next regular meeting is Nov. 25.

I asked the President and apparently the order for business or items that are going to be discussed are the same as the last meetings (refer to agendas).

One of my concerns is that I was planning on being nominated to a position and nominees were going to be allowed to give a brief speech at the meeting, and the President knows I won't be able to attend.  Can these nominations occur at this "rescheduled" or special meeting (especially considering the scope of the notice)?

Thank you for your time and information!
Best,

Roman M. Garcia

Kerr County Patriots Club_ Bylaws.pdf

KERR COUNTY PATRIOTS CLUB AGENDA 
PRAYER APPROVAL OF MINUTES, October 28, 2019 VICE PRESIDENT Ashli Badders 
UNFINISHED BUSINESS 
Item 1 Bylaws have been completed and are available for viewing
Item 2 Signup sheet for those interested in helping decorate KCPC Christmas float (Susan Deininger & Ruth Cremin)
Item 3 Nominations for next year’s officers/ board members (Clayson Lambert)
Item 4 Committee member activity reports/comments Political Research Committee: Comments on the School Board 
NEW BUSINESS
Item 1 General Memberships activities, comments and local concerns 
Special Announcement: Voter Registration Next Year Training at County Commissioners Court on: 
Wednesday, Nov 20, 3-5 pm Wednesday, Dec 18, 3-5 pm Monday, Jan 6, 3-5 pm 
To sign up for one of these classes contact the Kerr County Elections Department 830-792-2242 
Stay informed by check out our website www.kcpatriots.org 
NEXT MEETING November 25, 2019, 6:30 PM 
ADJOURN 

41 minutes ago, Roman.76 said:

The Club just became official in October of this year and currently has "acting" Board members.

Please clarify this statement. Do the organization’s rules provide for “acting” board members?

42 minutes ago, Roman.76 said:

Can he cancel a meeting?

No.

42 minutes ago, Roman.76 said:

If not, what proper procedures need to be done to cancel the meeting?

RONR has no procedures to cancel a meeting.

44 minutes ago, Roman.76 said:

Here is the notice that was sent out: "Good evening, all: Due to the inclement weather last night, Kerr County Patriots Club has rescheduled our next general meeting for November 18th, at 6:30 PM.  We have lots of great things to discuss about the future of our club, as well as upcoming primary elections for March 2020.  So please come and bring a friend."

Does this notice suffice the notice definition as described in RONR?  If not, what is it missing?

If this is a regular meeting, and regular meetings are generally held in the same location, this is sufficient information for a notice. If it is a regular meeting and the meeting location varies, then it is missing the location. If it is a special meeting, it is missing the items of business to be considered.

47 minutes ago, Roman.76 said:

Can he reschedule meetings even if it is due to weather conditions? 

No.

48 minutes ago, Roman.76 said:

One of my concerns is that I was planning on being nominated to a position and nominees were going to be allowed to give a brief speech at the meeting, and the President knows I won't be able to attend.  Can these nominations occur at this "rescheduled" or special meeting (especially considering the scope of the notice)?

I see no reason why the nominations could not occur if this is a regular meeting, unless the organization has its own rules on this subject that I am not aware of. If it is a special meeting, it does not seem the notice provides sufficient information.

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

Please clarify this statement. Do the organization’s rules provide for “acting” board members?

No, we are acting board members in the sense that when the group of people came together to start the Club, they decided to select people to be in an officer role to help guide the Club as it began.  The Bylaws were later adopted which provided a provision to allow the current unofficial (acting) board members to continue their duties until the end of the year.  So we will have elections in December.  The newly elected members will take office on January 1, 2020.

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

If this is a regular meeting, and regular meetings are generally held in the same location, this is sufficient information for a notice. If it is a regular meeting and the meeting location varies, then it is missing the location. If it is a special meeting, it is missing the items of business to be considered.

I see no reason why the nominations could not occur if this is a regular meeting, unless the organization has its own rules on this subject that I am not aware of. If it is a special meeting, it does not seem the notice provides sufficient information.

Ok, thank you!  That's what I thought.

1 hour ago, Roman.76 said:

What action do you recommend I take in this situation? 

I would suggest to the President that he send out a new call of the special meeting (if there is still time to do so) including the specific items of business to be considered.

Failing that, the assembly could simply conduct its business at the regular meeting on Nov. 25th.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.