The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absent a Quorum

anon

Well, you have all been most gracious to entertain the discussion and I certainly appreciate the deep dive to better my understanding of the situation.

As a practical matter I see no good reason to protest the outcome of automatic budget approval at our owner meeting. I had no beef with approving the budget to begin with; I just want to know how to follow proper procedure if that is possible without causing an unnecessary stink about it, to ensure the outcome can be defended should a member protest. In our case, I have no doubt if there had been a motion the budget would have been approved no matter how the motion was phrased.

If I have a say in it in the future I will use or encourage use of a "motion to have the owners ratify the Board's adopted budget for calendar year ####."

To ensure an accurate count of the percentage voting interest, I will use or encourage use of a roll call method, unless the assembly prefers ballot per a secondary motion. Thanks to the forum discussion I believe I can clearly explain the results (i.e., the motion passes and the budget is ratified unless > 50% of the entire association votes are given in the negative, in which case the motion fails and the budget is rejected).

This seems like the most direct and easily understood approach that does not conflict with state law or our bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.