The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vacant Standing Committee

Guest Meredith

I am on the Bylaws Committee of a volunteer and staffed organization and our Executive Board has proposed that they can choose to leave a Standing Committee vacant.  Is this allowed?  The Standing Committee is listed in the organizations Standing Rules as a standing committee.  They are assigned specific duties.  The Executive Board wants to move those duties to staff and away from volunteers.

5 hours ago, Guest Meredith said:

I am on the Bylaws Committee of a volunteer and staffed organization and our Executive Board has proposed that they can choose to leave a Standing Committee vacant.  Is this allowed?  The Standing Committee is listed in the organizations Standing Rules as a standing committee.  They are assigned specific duties.  The Executive Board wants to move those duties to staff and away from volunteers.

No, it is not proper for a committee specified in the standing rules to be left vacant. If it is desired to eliminate the committee, it will be necessary to amend the standing rules to remove it.

Since the apparent desire is to “move those duties to staff,” however, I would note that the board (it seems implied in your post that your rules authorize the board to appoint the members of this committee) could simply appoint the staff members in question to the committee, unless your rules provide otherwise. RONR does not require that members of committees must be members of the organization.

10 hours ago, Guest Meredith said:

If you leave the committee vacant, the tasks won't get done.  It's not in order to assign to others, tasks which fall under the purview of a standing committee.

10 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

If you leave the committee vacant, the tasks won't get done.  It's not in order to assign to others, tasks which fall under the purview of a standing committee.

Do you disagree, however, that the staff members could be appointed to the committee (unless the organization’s rules provide otherwise)?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.