The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correcting a minor mistake in the Minutes

Jan Cunningham

Hi there!  I am wondering if there is an easy way to correct a minor mistake in Minutes that have already been approved -- e.g. a spelling mistake of a person, place or thing.

I see on page 475 of RROR that for an "error or material omission," the group can do a motion to "Amend Something Previously Adopted" -- but is any differentiation permitted between "material" mistakes and "minor" typos ? 

On one hand, doing a motion sounds easy, but because the Minutes are from an AGM, that means they have to wait until the next AGM to do the motion to correct the Minutes.  Also, under our local Non-profit Corporations Act, such a motion would have to be stated in the Notice for the AGM -- which makes it quite the affair for such a small thing.

Is there a way for the Secretary to make the correction in the official copy of the Minutes, and perhaps put a parenthetical reference to this fact?

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, Jan Cunningham said:

I see on page 475 of RROR that for an "error or material omission," the group can do a motion to "Amend Something Previously Adopted" -- but is any differentiation permitted between "material" mistakes and "minor" typos ? 

No. The same process is required in any event.

1 hour ago, Jan Cunningham said:

Is there a way for the Secretary to make the correction in the official copy of the Minutes, and perhaps put a parenthetical reference to this fact?

No.

2 hours ago, Jan Cunningham said:

Agreeing with Mr. Martin's answer, I draw your attention to the fact that RONR does not refer to " 'material' mistakes". Your quotation refers to errors and that invludes any error. Materiality is only relevant when it comes to omissions.

47 minutes ago, Guest JSW said:

Can committee minutes be corrected after the meeting has been adjourned?  if so, does it have to be at the next meeting or can the notation be made if documents were sent to you electronically to review?

For future reference, please ask a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic appears similar.

I would first note that committees generally do not take minutes, as the committee’s reports serve as the committee’s records. (RONR also notes that a committee might, in addition, keep a “memorandum in the nature of minutes,” which need not be approved.) If a particular committee does take minutes, the draft minutes are subject to correction. If the Secretary submits the draft minutes for review prior to the meeting, members are free to suggest corrections to the Secretary if they wish, and the Secretary can choose whether to incorporate these corrections into the draft minutes. The minutes are ultimately approved at the committee’s next meeting, at which time corrections may be formally offered. Generally, corrections are handled by unanimous consent, but a majority vote is sufficient if there is disagreement.

If the errors in question are not discovered until after the minutes have been approved, corrections will need to wait until the next meeting and will require a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted, which requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.