The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Baby Shower for a member at a regular business meeting?

Guest Vic

Should there be an impromptu baby showing for one member at a regularly scheduled business meeting?  What does Robert's Rules say about that sort of thing?

To me, this should not be done - we are a corporation and our bylaws state that Rules of business will be guided by Roberts Rules of Order of comparable parliamentary procedure guidelines.  This would be a very bad precedence to start.  It seems to me that if we do this for one member, it will be reccorded in the minutes as business and we will have to do it for every member.  Then there will be wedding showers, etc.....

Please send me to the rules if you can.

1 minute ago, Guest Vic said:

Should there be an impromptu baby showing for one member at a regularly scheduled business meeting?  What does Robert's Rules say about that sort of thing?

To me, this should not be done - we are a corporation and our bylaws state that Rules of business will be guided by Roberts Rules of Order of comparable parliamentary procedure guidelines.  This would be a very bad precedence to start.  It seems to me that if we do this for one member, it will be reccorded in the minutes as business and we will have to do it for every member.  Then there will be wedding showers, etc.....

Please send me to the rules if you can.

Baby Shower not Baby Showing

1 hour ago, Guest Vic said:

Should there be an impromptu baby showing for one member at a regularly scheduled business meeting? 

It is at the assembly’s discretion. I would suggest taking a recess, if the assembly wishes to do this.

What does Robert's Rules say about that sort of thing?

RONR has nothing to say on this subject.

Depending on precisely what occurs, there may or may not be anything regarding this matter in the minutes. The baby shower itself would not be recorded in the minutes, but any main motions adopted on the subject, for instance, would be recorded.

As to your other concerns, you are free to share them with your fellow members. As previously noted, this is ultimately at the assembly’s discretion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.