The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What is my role as President when given a complaint

Guest Nicole

Due to some illness on the Board, I find myself "acting" president.

Today a board member emailed me a complaint against another board member.

What is my role in such a situation? 

Do I tell the person with the complaint to make a motion to censure at the next board meeting, if she feels it is that serious, or should I call a meeting, with both parties to address the issue. (meetings aren't happening right now due to cororavirus, so would be delayed quite a bit)

7 hours ago, Guest Nicole said:

There is no such thing as an “acting President” unless your rules do provide. You’re either President or you’re not.

There is a Chairman Pro Tempore, which is someone presiding in the absence of the President and Vice President, but that isn’t relevant outside of a meeting.

7 hours ago, Guest Nicole said:

Do I tell the person with the complaint to make a motion to censure at the next board meeting, if she feels it is that serious, or should I call a meeting, with both parties to address the issue. (meetings aren't happening right now due to cororavirus, so would be delayed quite a bit)

Up to you. RONR has no guidance on this topic.

14 hours ago, Guest Nicole said:

What do your bylaws and any special rules of order say about disciplinary procedures?  If there are provisions, follow them.  If not, you might follow the disciplinary procedures set out in Chapter XX of RONR.   That chapter consists of 26 pages of very detailed disciplinary procedures, too extensive to set out here.  Discipline can range from a simple motion of censure to suspension, removal from office and even expulsion.  A fine cannot be imposed unless provided for in your bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.