The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resolutions as Motions

Mark Apodaca, PRP

As I know, resolutions are main motions.  I reviewed several resolutions from the National Association of the Deaf conference and they do not sound like motions to me.  Here is an example:

Title: Recognition of Bobbie Beth Scoggins Service as NAD President
Code: 2012-RES-004:

Whereas, Bobbie Beth Scoggins has served the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) for many years in many capacities;
Whereas, Bobbie Beth Scoggins has served the NAD as a Board Member for Region II from 2004 to 2006;
Whereas, Bobbie Beth Scoggins has served the NAD admirably and with excellence as the President of the NAD for six years from 2006 to 2012;
Whereas, the NAD wishes to express its gratitude and appreciation to Bobbie Beth Scoggins for her dedication and service;
Therefore, let it be resolved that the NAD recognizes the extraordinary dedication and unyielding commitment of Bobbie Beth Scoggins to the NAD and the deaf and hard of hearing community, and expresses its gratitude and appreciation for her contributions.

Is this more of a proclamation than a resolution?  I do not see any purpose to vote on it since it does not lead to any action.  How do you see it?

Mark

If you delete everything up to and including resolved, and substitute the words I move..., then you have the equivalent motion.

A vote is required because it is an expression of the official position of the society.  Admittedly, taking a position is not as much of an "action" as painting the clubhouse, but it is a perfectly valid motion--or resolution.

First of all, resolutions are only motions if they are moved. So whoever offers the resolution may move that it be adopted. The adoption of a motion does not require that the motion "lead to any action." Motions can simply be statements of an association's position on a matter.

"A motion is a formal proposal by a member, in a meeting, that the assembly take certain action. The proposed action may be of a substantive nature, or it may express a certain view ..." (RONR 11th ed., p. 27, 18-21)

The resolution you cite is one example, Another is:
Resolved, That the Society congratulate its member Ernest Dunn on his novel Crestwood.”
(RONR, p.273, lines 15-18)

Regarding the vote on this motion: Since this is a motion "of a complimentary nature," the presiding officer may decide not to call for the negative vote, unless any member objects (p. 45, ll. 4-9). Otherwise, it is handled the same as any other motion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.