The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest Dave Salzman

In Executive Session are meeting minutes taken?

If meeting minutes are taken, are they included in the full meeting minutes from outside your Executive Session or kept separate?

If there is a vote to be taken on a topic discussed in an Executive Session, is that vote taken in the Executive Session or when you come out of the Executive Session to be recorded in the meeting minutes?

None of our By-Laws stipulate what to do in the above situations.

Additionally, a discussion I have had with a few people in regards to meeting minutes involves content. My belief is that the meeting minutes is a synopsis of the meeting and records any motions, votes, etc along with officers reports. Meeting minutes are not intended to be a word for word recording of the entire meeting. Thoughts?  

40 minutes ago, Guest Dave Salzman said:

Yes.

40 minutes ago, Guest Dave Salzman said:

If meeting minutes are taken, are they included in the full meeting minutes from outside your Executive Session or kept separate?

They should be kept separate, particularly if the assembly has a rule or custom generally permitting executive session minutes to be accessible to persons who are not members of the assembly. Minutes of an executive session are accessible only to members of the assembly.

41 minutes ago, Guest Dave Salzman said:

If there is a vote to be taken on a topic discussed in an Executive Session, is that vote taken in the Executive Session or when you come out of the Executive Session to be recorded in the meeting minutes?

The vote may be taken in executive session.

41 minutes ago, Guest Dave Salzman said:

Additionally, a discussion I have had with a few people in regards to meeting minutes involves content. My belief is that the meeting minutes is a synopsis of the meeting and records any motions, votes, etc along with officers reports. Meeting minutes are not intended to be a word for word recording of the entire meeting. Thoughts?  

Minutes certainly "are not intended to be a word for word recording of the entire meeting." Your version is closer, but still includes too much. Officer reports are not included. Certain motions and votes are recorded, but not all of them.

See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 468-471 for more information on the content of the minutes.

46 minutes ago, Guest Dave Salzman said:

Yes.

They are kept by the Secretary but they must be read and approved in executive session. 

There are a couple of variables in play with your question depending on the size of your assembly. I think in most cases an assembly may feel that if the discussion on a motion warranted going into executive session you would vote on the matter in executive session but the assembly could exit executive session and then vote. 

Regarding the contents of the minutes, you have the right of it. Minutes contain mainly a record of what was done, not what was said.

See RONR (11th ed.) pp. 95-96, 460 for executive session and pp. 468-475 for minutes.

Edited by Scott Fischer
Mr. Martin is faster on the keyboard than I am. Should have known!😉

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.