The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Handling of a Motion

Guest Antoinette K.

Guest Antoinette K.

I would like some clarification on the handling of a main motion.  Who can make a motion and second a motion? More specifically, could the Chair be the appropriate person to do so? Does the Chair's ability to "assume" a motion come into play here or does that only apply to certain types of motions?

24 minutes ago, Guest Antoinette K. said:

Who can make a motion and second a motion?

Any member other than the chair (in larger assemblies) and the parliamentarian (if there is one).

More specifically, could the Chair be the appropriate person to do so?

No, unless this is a committee or a small board (generally, a board in which there are not more than about a dozen members present). It should also be noted that in such cases, a second is not required.

Does the Chair's ability to "assume" a motion come into play here or does that only apply to certain types of motions?

I don't know what sort of motion you're talking about, so I don't know if the chair's ability to "assume" a motion comes into play here. It only applies to certain types of motions. Generally speaking, "The chair's ability to "assume" a motion that has not actually been made by another member exists to facilitate the business of the assembly, not to give the chair an opportunity to make a motion whose consideration he or she, as an individual member, believes would be desirable." See Official Interpretation 2007-1 for further explanation and several examples.

Edited by Josh Martin

14 minutes ago, Antoinette K. said:

I reviewed the Official Interpretation 2007-1 you referenced above.  As a follow up, if the Chair were to assume a motion, in the appropriate scenario, would that motion need to be seconded?

No, because is effectively putting it before the assembly by stating the motion, without objection.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.