The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Uncontested Candidate

Guest Rebecca Armenta

Guest Rebecca Armenta

Our by-laws state "Election of Officers shall be by printed ballot during the meeting on the day of election". However when there is only one candidate nominated for an office by proper procedure, our Secretary "Casts a white ballot" and the candidate is then elected. Is this proper procedure. This issue is not covered in our bylaws and I am trying to update them and make sure we are doing it all "by the book" so to speak. I did read some of the other posts that indicated 'by acclamation' is ok, but only if the by-laws do not stipulate that an election must take place

"Whenever a vote is to be taken by ballot, it is out of order to move that one person - the secretary, for example,  cast the ballot of the assembly" (RONR, p. 413, l. 10-12). So , no this is not proper procedure according to RONR. Declaring an unopposed candidate elected by acclamation is proper procedure if your rules don't require a ballot vote. Your rules clearly do require a ballot vote, so you need to hold an election by ballot, even for an unopposed candidate.

Note also that voting yes/no, whether for a single candidate or for multiple candidates is also not in order.  The ballots should include a blank line to allow for write-in votes to be cast. According to RONR, the only way to vote against a specific candidate is to vote for someone else.

25 minutes ago, Guest Rebecca Armenta said:

Is this proper procedure.

No. Your bylaws require a ballot election and do not provide for an exception if the number of candidates is equal to or less than the number of positions. That is an amendment you can propose.

Edited by Atul Kapur

1 hour ago, Guest Rebecca Armenta said:

Our by-laws state "Election of Officers shall be by printed ballot during the meeting on the day of election". However when there is only one candidate nominated for an office by proper procedure, our Secretary "Casts a white ballot" and the candidate is then elected. Is this proper procedure. This issue is not covered in our bylaws and I am trying to update them and make sure we are doing it all "by the book" so to speak. I did read some of the other posts that indicated 'by acclamation' is ok, but only if the by-laws do not stipulate that an election must take place

No, this is not proper procedure. Because your bylaws require a ballot vote and do not provide any exceptions, a ballot vote must be held, and that means a real ballot vote, in which all members are free to vote for the candidate of their choice. Write-in votes are in order.

Since you say the society is trying to update its bylaws, I would note that it would be permissible to add an exception to the ballot vote requirement in cases where there the number of candidates is equal to or less than the number of positions to be filled if the society wishes to do so. Even if such an exception is added, however, the procedure you are currently using is still wrong. Such a procedure is antiquated and unnecessary. Instead, the chairman would simply declare the candidate(s) elected by acclamation.

Edited by Josh Martin

5 minutes ago, Guest Rebecca Armenta said:

Josh can you site for me where that is in Roberts Rules?

"If the bylaws require the election of officers to be by ballot and there is only one nominee for an office, the ballot must nevertheless be taken for that office unless the bylaws provide for an exception in such a case. In the absence of the latter provision, members still have the right, on the ballot, to cast "write-in votes" for other eligible persons." (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 441-442)

"If only one person is nominated and the bylaws do not require that a ballot vote be taken, the chair, after ensuring that, in fact, no members present wish to make further nominations, simply declares that the nominee is elected, thus effecting the election by unanimous consent or "acclamation."" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 443)

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.