The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When an Executive meeting is to be held, how can it be done?

Guest Roche

i am thinking that an executive meeting or session has to be voted on by the trustees as a whole, and not called by anybody.

Also is a employee such as a Director allowed to bring up anything at a meeting that requires voting, including executive sessions or meetings

It's unclear what you mean. An executive session is one where the proceedings are secret. An executive meeting is just a meeting of your executive.

Is the employee a member of the body that is meeting?

Your use of the terms trustees and Director make me think of a school board. Public bodies such as school boards have particular laws that apply to them, including specific reasons why the board can move into executive session and the requirements of public reporting around that.

Only members of the board ("trustees") are able to make motions, debate, and vote. However, a Director for a school board, similar to a CEO of an organization, often provides much information to the board, and is often allowed to do so during debate.

11 minutes ago, Guest Roche said:

i am thinking that an executive meeting or session has to be voted on by the trustees as a whole, and not called by anybody.

Just to be clear we are talking about the same thing, RONR uses the term "executive session" to refer to a meeting (or a portion thereof) at which only members of the assembly and those invited by the assembly are permitted to be present, and also at which the proceedings are kept secret.

I agree that, unless the organization's rules provide otherwise, the board of trustees may enter executive session only if the board agrees to do so, either by vote or by unanimous consent.

If you are referring to something else, please clarify.

14 minutes ago, Guest Roche said:

Also is a employee such as a Director allowed to bring up anything at a meeting that requires voting, including executive sessions or meetings

An employee who is not a member of the board may speak or make motions only with the board's permission, whether or not the meeting is held in executive session. Such permission requires a majority vote if no motion is pending or a 2/3 vote if a motion is pending (or to grant permission to make a motion). Unanimous consent is an acceptable substitute in either case.

I think we need more information in order to provide useful answers. 

to answer a couple of questions that do seem to have been asked, even if indirectly, motions may indeed be voted on an executive session unless there is a superior rule to the contrary, such as might exist with a public bodies such as a school board. Also, a guest at a meeting, even though he may not have the right to make motions or even to speak, can certainly suggest to a member that he would like for something to be brought up or for a certain motion to be made.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.