The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Term after vacancy

Guest Sandra

32 minutes ago, Guest Sandra said:

When a board director leaves a board before his term has been fulfilled, does the new board director finish out the term for the previous director? Is that stated in R- Rules or is it up to the entity to decide?

Yes, the person elected to fill the vacancy finishes the term.

I don't think there is actually anything in RONR explicitly stating this, likely because it was believed to be apparent on the face of it that if someone is elected to fill a vacancy, then the person fills the vacancy - no more and no less.

I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting there is for the entity to decide. What other interpretation is being suggested of what happens if someone is elected to fill a vacancy?

I am guessing, but it seems like staggered terms are referenced here... so if there is an intervening election before the term expires, does the term carry through?

We have this in an organization I am part of but it is addressed in the bylaws that that even if the original term went to the next election, a replacement director has to be reelected at the next election for the rest of the term.

15 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

Yes, the person elected to fill the vacancy finishes the term.

I don't think there is actually anything in RONR explicitly stating this, likely because it was believed to be apparent on the face of it that if someone is elected to fill a vacancy, then the person fills the vacancy - no more and no less.

I believe this is a correct statement whenever a vacancy arises due to death, resignation, or removal, and it is made explicit in the case of a vacancy arising in the office of president (RONR, 12th ed., 47:28).

I think I should also refer here to the different rule that applies if a vacancy occurs as a result of an incomplete election (RONR, 12th ed., 46:45).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.