The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Remedy for Chair's Incorrect Announcement of Voice Vote Reult

Weldon Merritt

I recall reading in RONR that a Point of Order should not be used for the chair's erroneous announcement of the result of a voice vote, but a Division of the Assembly should be used instead. However, I can't find that in either the 11th or 12th editions. I suppose I could be mistaken, but I don't think so. I'm probably just overlooking it somehow. Can anyone point me to the right provision? 

46 minutes ago, Weldon Merritt said:

I recall reading in RONR that a Point of Order should not be used for the chair's erroneous announcement of the result of a voice vote, but a Division of the Assembly should be used instead. However, I can't find that in either the 11th or 12th editions. I suppose I could be mistaken, but I don't think so. I'm probably just overlooking it somehow. Can anyone point me to the right provision? 

"The chair’s judgment as to the more numerous side in a vote, or whether there are two thirds in the affirmative, also is not a ruling and is not subject to appeal. If a member doubts the correctness of such an announced result, however, he should call for a Division (see 29) or move that the vote be counted." RONR (12th ed.) 24:7

"If the chair made a procedural error in declaring a motion adopted or lost, for example, in declaring that a motion which received a majority vote but not a two-thirds vote was adopted when a two-thirds vote was required under the rules, a point of order may be raised to that effect." RONR (12th ed.) 24:7n4

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.