The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can make edits to the wording of a motion post-meeting?

cpereira

After completing the minutes and distributing them to the Board for approval, the writers of one motion moved to make a friendly amendment adding some wording to the original motion. The Board accepted the motion. The writers of the motion instructed me (recording secretary) to make those edits, however, it is my belief that only the owners of the motion may edit the contents of a motion, especially since these changes are being made well after the meeting was adjourned. Am I correct in refusing to change the wording of a motion I did not write, and asking the owner to submit the revised motion? I cannot find a formal policy on this. Thanks so much!

You cannot re-write a motion by amending the minutes. The minutes should be corrected if they are in error, but they reflect what actually happened at the meeting.

If someone wants to change the wording of a motion which has been adopted, they should make a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted at a future meeting.

By the way, who are you referring to when you speak of the "owners" of the motion? Once the presiding officer states the motion (i.e. considers that it is in order and puts it to the assembly for consideration) then the assembly owns the motion. The mover has no ownership after that point.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.