The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Title of an officer

Guest Daniel Ginsberg

6 hours ago, Guest Daniel Ginsberg said:

If we combine the secretary and treasurer into one person, which is correct:  secretary-treasurer or secretary/treasurer and please let me know the reason.

RONR does not define the title of such a position. The organization is free to use whatever term it wishes. For what it is worth, Secretary-Treasurer seems to be more common, although I am not aware of any particular rationale behind this.

Edited by Josh Martin

57 minutes ago, Guest Daniel Ginsberg said:

If we combine the secretary and treasurer into one person, which is correct:  secretary-treasurer or secretary/treasurer and please let me know the reason.

I rather not combine the two roles, call her the secretary when she acts as secretary and call her the treasurer when she acts as treasurer 

21 minutes ago, Guest Daniel Ginsberg said:

One person is both the secretary and treasurer. Which is correct:  Secretary-Treasurer or Secretary/Treasurer?

If your bylaws say there shall be a secretary and a treasurer, among other officers, then this person holds two positions and is both Secretary and Treasurer.  It is not a "combined office" as it would be if the bylaws called for a "secretary-treasurer" (or "secretary/treasurer").  RONR does not address this issue, other than to say that one member may hold more than one office unless the bylaws prohibit it.  The book never uses the term "secretary/treasurer" or "secretary-treasurer". 

I  think which term you use it will be a matter of personal preference, but I personally believe that "secretary/treasurer" would be the preferred term if one person is holding both offices.  On the other hand, if the office is in fact a combined office in the bylaws, I believe "Secretary-Treasurer" would be the preferred term for the combined office, but the organization is free to use whatever term it desires.

You won't find the answer in  RONR, but perhaps you can find more information by performing a Google search.

I was trying to be subtle and encourage you to search the answer yourself, as this is not truly a RONR question. But, since you've asked twice and it appears to be important to you...

If the same person has been elected to two different offices, Secretary and Treasurer, then the person should be identified as the "Secretary & Treasurer". 

If this is one office with duties of both, then the name used in the bylaws should be used. If you are asking which is the correct punctuation mark for this position, my research indicates "Secretary-Treasurer" is better than "Secretary/Treasurer" as the slash is usually used to indicate alternatives or substitute for the word "or".

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.