The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When did current edition start automatically superseding previous?

Atul Kapur

The language on p. vii that begins, "This Twelfth Edition supersedes all previous editions and is intended automatically to become the parliamentary authority . . . " also appears (with the correct edition number) on p. vii of the 11th edition and p. II of the 10th.

In which edition did this language first appear?

Prior to that, was there another rule or was this (or similar) language felt to be simply an explicit statement of what was previously considered understood?

General Robert never said any such thing as "supersedes" and I cannot find any such language to the effect that any edition "supersedes" anything before the 1970 edition. There was no "another rule" or anything similar. I have the text for all editions 1 through 6 in order to prove this.

1 hour ago, Atul Kapur said:

The language on p. vii that begins, "This Twelfth Edition supersedes all previous editions and is intended automatically to become the parliamentary authority . . . " also appears (with the correct edition number) on p. vii of the 11th edition and p. II of the 10th.

In which edition did this language first appear?

The 7th Edition (1970)

1 hour ago, Atul Kapur said:

Prior to that, was there another rule or was this (or similar) language felt to be simply an explicit statement of what was previously considered understood?

The latter, I would assume.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.