The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Taking Minutes | Order Rescind in notes

Anna Maria

I'm new to Roberts Rules and minute taking.  At the last meeting, the agenda was approved with the wrong date of the minutes to be presented.   A motion was made by board member who approved the agenda to rescind the agenda and a vote taking, the the actual vote on the agenda with correct date.  My question - in the minutes to be approved next month, do I need to record the first approval, rescinding or can I just record the actual motions for the correct agenda that passed? 

Edited by Anna Maria
spelling

• Anna Maria changed the title to Taking Minutes | Order Rescind in notes
27 minutes ago, Anna Maria said:

I'm new to Roberts Rules and minute taking.  At the last meeting, the agenda was approved with the wrong date of the minutes to be presented.   A motion was made by board member who approved the agenda to rescind the agenda and a vote taking, the the actual vote on the agenda with correct date.  My question - in the minutes to be approved next month, do I need to record the first approval, rescinding or can I just record the actual motions for the correct agenda that passed? 

All main motions must be recorded in the minutes, so the minutes will need to record the motion to adopt the original agenda, the motion to rescind the agenda, and the motion to adopt the new agenda, and the disposition of each of these.

I agree with Mr. Martin. The minute should record what actually happened at the meeting.

However, that was an unnecessarily convoluted way of fixing the agenda. It would have been much simpler for the person to move to amend the agenda to correct the date. This motion formally requires a two-thirds vote (or a majority of the entire membership) but is usually handled by unanimous consent. ("Is there any objection to correcting the date of the minutes in the agenda? There's no objection so that correction is made.")

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.