The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is it correct to have a main motion with different possible options?

Dr. John

11 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

The original question was whether the assembly could adopt a motion that would give the board of directors several choices as to how to deal with a particular problem. I must confess that I was astonished to read suggestions that somehow such a motion would violate the fundamental principles of parliamentary law or the suggestion that the motion itself was out of order. One of the examples in the book tells us about the requirement of germaneness (12:19) in regard to amendments, however, giving several unrelated options to the subordinate board in no way violates this rule. Let us not be confused about the requirement for germaneness and what main motions may or may not contain. Are we not told that main resolutions may contain several  unrelated parts to it? (10:25) An entry in the index under "resolutions, series in single motion" is right there on page 702. Had the motion instructed the board to carry out simultaneous instructions that were mutually exclusive then that would be a problem. However, the board is being instructed to carry out one of them and not all of them. Besides, if the board does not like the choices offered, they can always report to the assembly that they desire different instructions and even suggest what they think is the proper way of dealing with the problem. And the entire cycle would start all over again. So, what did I miss?

Again, my interpretation of the original question was that the assembly presently meeting would vote for one of several options presented, rather than voting on a main motion as "yes" or "no." That is, members would vote for Option A, Option B, or Option C. I did not read it as a motion instructing a subordinate board on what options it could consider. If that is in fact the situation, I agree that such a motion is in order.

2 hours ago, Guest Puzzling said:

Primary amendment by member prefers option C

Secondary amendments to improve option C 

I would note that Option C in this case is "Do nothing," so if members want Option C, they should just vote against the main motion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.