The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Closed Session for Executive Director Succession Planning

Barnabus

Our ED is moving and we are going through a transition over the next couple months.  The executive board has on multiple occasions called closed session meetings without the ED present to discuss the plan and have used the umbrella of personnel.  My question is what exactly constitutes "personnel" because to me this would only be performance related matters of the existing ED.  Am I correct in stating that all other matters such as a new job description, associated salary, timeline and hiring process should be performed in open session?

2 hours ago, Barnabus said:

Our ED is moving and we are going through a transition over the next couple months.  The executive board has on multiple occasions called closed session meetings without the ED present to discuss the plan and have used the umbrella of personnel.  My question is what exactly constitutes "personnel" because to me this would only be performance related matters of the existing ED.  Am I correct in stating that all other matters such as a new job description, associated salary, timeline and hiring process should be performed in open session?

RONR places no limitations on what subjects may be discussed in executive session, so it has no answer to this question. The board can meet in executive session whenever the board wishes to do so.

If your organization is subject to some applicable law prescribing that only certain subjects may be discussed in executive session, or if your organization has adopted its own rules on this subject, what "personnel" means in the context of those rules is a question which is beyond the scope of RONR and this forum.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.