The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Officers

Guest Hgholmes

Nominations for officers was completed at my club’s last meeting (hroup of clubs come together to form one city club). Voting for officers are to take place at the next meeting. One of the candidates has been given a notice by her individual club for dismissal from the club due to lack of unsatisfied financial requirements. She is a candidate for two positions. What is the responsibility of the organization? Who should do what and when should it be done? Bylaws state we elect officers via written ballot. 
Thank You 

34 minutes ago, Guest Hgholmes said:

Nominations for officers was completed at my club’s last meeting (hroup of clubs come together to form one city club). Voting for officers are to take place at the next meeting. One of the candidates has been given a notice by her individual club for dismissal from the club due to lack of unsatisfied financial requirements. She is a candidate for two positions. What is the responsibility of the organization? Who should do what and when should it be done? Bylaws state we elect officers via written ballot. 

For starters, what do the bylaws say regarding eligibility for office?

The only requirement was to be in a club for two years. The nomination committee cleared the eligibility through the general files of each club’s membership roster. The new information came after the meeting when nominations were made. I understand that it is possible that some members thought the candidate was not a member because she was not financial. 

2 hours ago, Guest Hgholmes said:

The only requirement was to be in a club for two years. The nomination committee cleared the eligibility through the general files of each club’s membership roster. The new information came after the meeting when nominations were made. I understand that it is possible that some members thought the candidate was not a member because she was not financial. 

If I am understanding correctly that this person is no longer a member and, as a consequence, is no longer eligible for office, then a member may raise a Point of Order that the member is ineligible (or the chair may make this ruling at their own initiative). The ruling is subject to appeal, in the event that there is any ambiguity regarding the member's eligibility. The appropriate time to raise such a Point of Order would be when the election occurs. It would seem desirable to raise the Point of Order prior to the start of voting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.