The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How Statutes affect Bylaws

Tomm

In regards to a state statute "Removal of directors elected by members or directors" that says, B. If the articles of incorporation or bylaws do not provide a procedure for removal of a director from office: then 1, 2, 3.... apply

If there are no specific procedures listed in the Article of Incorporation or Bylaws to remove a director but the Bylaws do specify RONR as their parliamentary authority, would the procedures as stated in RONR be applicable or must one use the state statute?  

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

In regards to a state statute "Removal of directors elected by members or directors" that says, B. If the articles of incorporation or bylaws do not provide a procedure for removal of a director from office: then 1, 2, 3.... apply

If there are no specific procedures listed in the Article of Incorporation or Bylaws to remove a director but the Bylaws do specify RONR as their parliamentary authority, would the procedures as stated in RONR be applicable or must one use the state statute?  

As a matter of parliamentary law, if a statute provides that the bylaws can provide otherwise, then inclusion of RONR as the parliamentary authority in the bylaws is sufficient to provide otherwise. See RONR, 12th ed., 45:71, 56:49n1.

Ultimately, however, whether this is correct as a matter of law in regard to a particular state statute is a legal question which should be directed to an attorney.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 8/18/2021 at 9:56 AM, Josh Martin said:

As a matter of parliamentary law, if a statute provides that the bylaws can provide otherwise, then inclusion of RONR as the parliamentary authority in the bylaws is sufficient to provide otherwise. See RONR, 12th ed., 45:71, 56:49n1.

That's an excellent answer and one I was hoping for but I'm up against a very tough board!

It's not my intention to look a gift horse in the mouth, but would you happen to know of any case law that would support your statement?

Extremely grateful for this forum! 

2 hours ago, Tomm said:

That's an excellent answer and one I was hoping for but I'm up against a very tough board!

It's not my intention to look a gift horse in the mouth, but would you happen to know of any case law that would support your statement?

Extremely grateful for this forum! 

I must reiterate that my statement merely takes a position on this issue as a matter of parliamentary law. I am not attempting to guess at what the correct answer to this question is as a matter of law.

Notwithstanding this, a more thorough discussion of this topic can be found in this thread, in which Mr. Honemann provided citations to some relevant cases.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.