The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations and Elections

Guest Molly

We are holding our yearly elections for the Executive Board of our non profit. The Nominating Committee has one candidate for each office. Our bylaws state "the Nominating  Committee shall  present at least 2 candidates for each position. Additional nominations will be accepted from the floor"  (At our September meeting)

If we don't get additional nominations, what do we do?  It was difficult to get one nominee for each position. 

Thank you

On 9/1/2021 at 4:03 PM, Guest Molly said:

If we don't get additional nominations, what do we do?  It was difficult to get one nominee for each position. 

This is, I suspect, one of the reasons RONR advises against requiring the Nomination Committee to nominate more than one candidate per position. I suppose the NC could try to find additional candidates that they believe have little or no chance of actually being elected (but are nevertheless willing too be nominated), thus abiding by the letter of the bylaws. My recommendation, however, is that they simply present the nominees they have, and explain that they could not find any other willing candidates. The fact that they are not in compliance with the bylaws requirement will not, in my opinion, invalidate the ensuing election. And then the society should amend that bylaws ASAP to remove the two-nominees per office rule.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.