The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Formatting bylaws after amendments

CKeating

I'm providing some temporary administrative support to a Board of Directors. At a recent Annual General Meeting the membership approved amending By-law No. 2 by adopting Amending By-law No. 3. (a clause was removed). How to I format the actual By-Law now? Do I rename  it By-law No. 3 at the top and include all of the clauses that were in By-law No. 2 except for the omitted clause? 

If I'm guessing correctly, this organization numbers its bylaws, and if any change is made to the bylaws, the entire bylaws document gets a new number. There's nothing wrong with doing that, I suppose, but since it's not a rule from RONR, all I can say is follow your own rule or custom. 

It is quite proper to compile an updated comprehensive bylaws document which contains all the current active rules as amended.  Many organizations simply identify versions of the bylaws document by the date of its most recent amendment.

Thanks Gary! The organization has normally dated its bylaws rather than renumbering, but the motion to amend was drafted by an outside lawyer so I think it became a bit more complicated than it needed to be. In this case given the wording of the motion I'll compile an updated comprehensive bylaw document with a new number as you suggest.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.