The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Definitive method of defining Procedures in Small Boards

Tomm

There's been much said and many questions asked regarding Procedures in Small Boards.

What's the definitive or preferred method to determine which small board rules are to be followed on a continuing basis?

As stated in another thread, it is up to the assembly to determine which, if any, small board procedures are to be used. It's not an "all or none" commitment.

To avoid the confusion that sometimes motions require a second and sometimes they don't, or sometimes the chair would cast a vote and sometimes not, I would assume they should be documented as special rules of order and they would list only those small board rules that would apply at every meeting of the small board. That would avoid the arguments between members regarding which rules apply!

And of course "It is advisable to be printed in the same booklet with, but under a heading separate from, the bylaws."   

On 12/6/2021 at 9:23 PM, Tomm said:

What's the definitive or preferred method to determine which small board rules are to be followed on a continuing basis?

There isn't one. There are a variety of methods which could be used in this regard.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:23 PM, Tomm said:

To avoid the confusion that sometimes motions require a second and sometimes they don't, or sometimes the chair would cast a vote and sometimes not, I would assume they should be documented as special rules of order and they would list only those small board rules that would apply at every meeting of the small board. That would avoid the arguments between members regarding which rules apply!

This would certainly be one method, although I would note two things:

• Strictly speaking, these are not "special rules of order." Since the rules in this case provide both options, a special rule of order is not required to decide between them, so the motion could be adopted by a majority vote rather than by the vote required for a special rule of order. A special rule of order would be needed only if the rule the board wishes to follow does not match either the regular rules or the small board rules.
  • It may be prudent to specifically note some sort of introductory statement in the motion providing that "The small board rules shall be followed as provided below, and the board shall otherwise follow the rules applicable for larger assemblies."
Edited by Josh Martin

On 12/6/2021 at 10:23 PM, Tomm said:

There's been much said and many questions asked regarding Procedures in Small Boards.

As stated in another thread, it is up to the assembly to determine which, if any, small board procedures are to be used. It's not an "all or none" commitment.

And of course "It is advisable to be printed in the same booklet with, but under a heading separate from, the bylaws."   

I suggest a careful reading of what is said concerning precedent in RONR (12th ed.) 23:10. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.