The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic signatures on Petition - legal?

John Cummings

Are electronic signaures considered valid?   I belong to a seasonal HOA/Campgroup in New Hampshire and am looking to use an online petition service such as change.org to collect signatures for a petition regarding a by-law change.   It is off-season and would be difficult to collect paper signatures as owners are dispersed up and down the east coast.

I have asked this question to a NH Condo lawyer and posted this question while waiting for a response.

Two new laws were added in 2000, the Federal "E-Sign act" and "UETA".   I'm not a lawyer and not sure if these laws apply to HOA's. I would hope they do.

Plus some details from the New Hampshire Unifor Electronic Transaction act.

TITLE XXVII
CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS, AND PROPRIETORS OF COMMON LANDS

CHAPTER 294-E
UNIFORM ELECTRONIC TRANSACTIONS ACT

294-E:7 Legal Recognition of Electronic Records, Electronic Signatures, and Electronic Contracts. –
I. A record or signature may not be denied legal effect or enforceability solely because it is in electronic form.
II. A contract may not be denied legal effect or enforceability solely because an electronic record was used in its formation.
III. If a law requires a record to be in writing, an electronic record satisfies the law.
IV. If a law requires a signature, an electronic signature satisfies the law.

Thanks
John

On 12/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, John Cummings said:

Are electronic signaures considered valid?

RONR has no answer to this question. RONR has very little to say about petitions at all, and the few rules where the subject is addressed, such as RONR (12th ed.) 46:26, do not address this detail. This is not a question about RONR, but instead involves questions about your bylaws and about applicable law. The former question is for your society to interpret, and the latter question should be addressed to an attorney, as you have done.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.