The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership Approval of Board Action

Guest Peter Stone

ByLaws requires any amendment of ByLaws be first approved by 2/3rd vote of Board and then subsequently approved by 2/3rd vote of members at a special membership meeting. If the 2/3rd of members do not approve amendment does the prior Board approval survive so that it may still be passed at at later special membership meeting? 

Or is the prior Board action on the ByLaws amendment of no further effect and cannot be brought up again for approval at another special membership meeting? 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:57 AM, Guest Peter Stone said:

ByLaws requires any amendment of ByLaws be first approved by 2/3rd vote of Board and then subsequently approved by 2/3rd vote of members at a special membership meeting. If the 2/3rd of members do not approve amendment does the prior Board approval survive so that it may still be passed at at later special membership meeting? 

Or is the prior Board action on the ByLaws amendment of no further effect and cannot be brought up again for approval at another special membership meeting? 

This is ultimately a question of bylaws interpretation that your organization will have to resolve for itself.

Based upon the facts presented, my own view is that if the motion is rejected by the membership, the process starts over. The board would need to approve the motion again in order to bring it up again at a future meeting of the membership.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:54 PM, Josh Martin said:

Based upon the facts presented, my own view is that if the motion is rejected by the membership, the process starts over. The board would need to approve the motion again in order to bring it up again at a future meeting of the membership.

On 4/2/2022 at 4:28 PM, Atul Kapur said:

FWIW, I agree.

Why?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.