The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Coordinator Position

Guest Karen

On 8/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, Guest Karen said:

An Elected Officer position has been changed from Office of 2nd Vice President to Coordinator, which will be an appointed position.  The duties remain the same, which directs several programing committes.  Is the "Coordinator" position an Officer position? 

It would be best if the organization would explicitly define which positions are classified as officers in the bylaws. In the absence of such definitions, it will be up to the organization to interpret its own bylaws. RONR has some Principles of Interpretation in RONR (12th ed.) 56:68

Generally, however, it would seem to me that if the position was classified as an officer prior to the amendment, and all the amendment changed was the manner of selection of the position and the title, then the position would remain an officer position after the amendment.

But I suppose I am wondering whether this is a purely philosophical question or if there is another reason why it matters whether this position is (or is not) classified as an officer. If so, it might be helpful if you could provide that additional information as well.

On 8/29/2022 at 12:36 PM, Guest Karen said:

An Elected Officer position has been changed from Office of 2nd Vice President to Coordinator, which will be an appointed position.  The duties remain the same, which directs several programing committes.  Is the "Coordinator" position an Officer position? 

Since this change must necessarily have been accomplished via a bylaws amendment, what do the bylaws say about who is an Officer? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.