The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation and appointment for Board of Directors

Guest tomtee1949@gmail.com

Guest tomtee1949@gmail.com

Our board of diectors is goverend by our By-Laws.  Our By-Laws state that and member who does not attend at least 50% of our meeting in one calander year is considered as resigned. Our President has the authority to appoint and interim replacement for any vacancy caused by many items, including resignation, until our annual elections. Recently one member of the board who missed more than 50% of our meetings was, according to the By-Laws, resigned. The president wants to appoint the same board member thgat failed to attend our meetings, even though, the person made it very clear that he would not be able to attend our meetings.  I don't think the president can appoint this member again. Our meetings are goverend by Rober's Rules of Order, but I could not find a definitive answer in my book.  Can anybody help?

On 9/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, Guest *****@*****.tld said:

I don't think the president can appoint this member again. Our meetings are goverend by Rober's Rules of Order, but I could not find a definitive answer in my book.  Can anybody help?

Wrll, I could write that somewhere in the margins of your book, but otherwise you won't find it in there, so I cannot help.

Do your bylaws say that someone who is deemed to have resigned is not eligible? Unless they do, the member is eligible to be re-appointed. Not necessarily a good idea, based on what you've told us, but not prohibited.

Edited by Atul Kapur

On 9/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, Guest *****@*****.tld said:

Our board of diectors is goverend by our By-Laws.  Our By-Laws state that and member who does not attend at least 50% of our meeting in one calander year is considered as resigned. Our President has the authority to appoint and interim replacement for any vacancy caused by many items, including resignation, until our annual elections. Recently one member of the board who missed more than 50% of our meetings was, according to the By-Laws, resigned. The president wants to appoint the same board member thgat failed to attend our meetings, even though, the person made it very clear that he would not be able to attend our meetings.  I don't think the president can appoint this member again. Our meetings are goverend by Rober's Rules of Order, but I could not find a definitive answer in my book.  Can anybody help?

Depends what you mean by help.

I can give you a definitive answer that there is no rule in RONR that would stop the President from appointing someone who resigned.  So that's why you can't find it in your book.  If that helps, then good.

But like @Atul Kapur I'm afraid I can't help beyond that because the answer lies beyond RONR in your bylaws. If the bylaws give the President the power to fill vacancies, which is apparently the case, then any limitations on that power would be listed there too.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.