The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can an Attorney participate in a meeting as a representative for a Member? To what extent (eg, run the meeting)?

laser158689

On 9/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, laser158689 said:

Can an attorney participate in a meeting on behalf of a member?  To what extent, eg speak, make motions, even chair the meeting?

If the rules in Robert's Rules of Order are controlling, the answer is that an attorney may not do any of this. The use of proxies is forbidden.  

On 9/9/2022 at 8:06 AM, laser158689 said:

Can an attorney participate in a meeting on behalf of a member?  To what extent, eg speak, make motions, even chair the meeting?

On 9/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, Dan Honemann said:

If the rules in Robert's Rules of Order are controlling, the answer is that an attorney may not do any of this. The use of proxies is forbidden.  

Well, the attorney could chair the meeting with the assembly's consent. (RONR (12th ed.) 47:13) That is of a different kind than the other matters listed and does not involve proxies.

On 9/9/2022 at 12:19 PM, Josh Martin said:

Well, the attorney could chair the meeting with the assembly's consent. (RONR (12th ed.) 47:13) That is of a different kind than the other matters listed and does not involve proxies.

I agree, but didn't mention it because I didn't think he would be doing so "on behalf of a member." I suppose there are a number of things he could do (except vote) with the assembly's consent.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.