The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion vs Resolution

rbk

A resolution in and of itself is really not a motion. It becomes a motion if it is either preceded by something like: "I move the adoption of the following resolution . . ." (as in RONR 4:4), or followed by something like, "I move that the resolution be adopted as just read." The motion is "I move that . . ." The resolution is the content of the motion. RONR calls it a more formal version of motion content because it is typically composed of both a preamble ("whereas . . .") and then the resolution itself ("Resolved, that . . .") and there are special rules for how those sections are amended and considered (see RONR 10:16ff). 

On 9/19/2022 at 9:29 AM, rbk said:

RONR (12th ed.) 4:4 discusses the difference between motions and resolutions.

I don't think it is quite accurate to call it "the difference between motions and resolutions," because a resolution is a type of motion. It might be more accurate to say the "difference between resolutions and other motions."

"For more important or complex questions, or when greater formality is desired, he presents the motion in the form of a resolution." RONR (12th ed.) 4:4

I also do not think it is quite accurate to say this is, in fact, what makes a motion a resolution. Rather, these are reasons why a motion might be written in the form of a resolution, but ultimately the form itself is what makes a motion a resolution.

On 9/19/2022 at 9:29 AM, rbk said:

Is that the only difference between the two terms?

A resolution is simply a motion which is written in a particular format. That's it.

"The member then makes his motion, in simple cases by saying, “I move that…[announcing what he proposes in a wording intended to become the assembly’s official statement of the action taken].” RONR (12th ed.) 4:4

"The usual wording then is, “I move the adoption of the following resolution: ‘Resolved, That…’”; or, “I offer the following resolution: ‘Resolved, That…’”' RONR (12th ed.) 4:4

The wording of resolutions is discussed in greater detail in RONR (12th ed.) 10:13-25.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.