The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Effective time of appointment of officer by the chairman

Nathan Zook

Our bylaws state that the chairman shall appoint the secretary & treasurer.  Do such appointments require notification of the body?  My instinct was yes, but the closest reference I can find is RONR 13:15, which states that committee appointments by the chair must be announced.

Ugly details:  Chair informed the secretary that they were being replaced immediately before a meeting, but no mention of this change was made to the body.  We now have two sets of minutes, with a substantial difference, and a committee has been appointed to recommend what to do...  (Yea me!)

Mechanically, the committee can recommend a substitute, but politically, I want to be able to blame you all for the starting point...

On 9/21/2022 at 11:12 PM, Nathan Zook said:

Our bylaws state that the chairman shall appoint the secretary & treasurer.  Do such appointments require notification of the body?

No, unless the bylaws so provide.

Although it would seem to me that while there is no strict requirement to provide such notification, it would be a good idea, both as a matter of courtesy and as a practical matter. (As your organization seems to have discovered.)

On 9/21/2022 at 11:12 PM, Nathan Zook said:

My instinct was yes, but the closest reference I can find is RONR 13:15, which states that committee appointments by the chair must be announced.

But RONR 13:15 involves a situation in which the presiding officer is authorized to appoint a committee in a particular instance due to authorization from the assembly, as opposed to a rule in the bylaws authorizing the President to appoint members of all committees. In my view, RONR (13:15) is not applicable here.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 9/22/2022 at 8:20 AM, Josh Martin said:

No, unless the bylaws so provide.

Although it would seem to me that while there is no strict requirement to provide such notification, it would be good idea, both as a matter of courtesy and as a practical matter. (As your organization seems to have discovered.)

But RONR 13:15 involves a situation in which the presiding officer is authorized to appoint a committee in a particular instance due to authorization from the assembly, as opposed to a rule in the bylaws authorizing the President to appoint members of all committees. In my view, RONR (13:15) is not applicable here.

Welp, that's what I was asking.  Uggh.  Thanks again.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.