The Official RONR Q & A Forums

52:2 Presiding Officer

JustinPappano

Hi all: 

I know and acknowledge that in the committee of the whole, the regular presiding officer leaves the chair. 

The rationale provided in RONR, however, perplexes me. "Also, a chairman of the committee of the whole is appointed and the regular presiding officer leaves the chair, so that, by being disengaged from any difficulties that may arise in the committee, he may be in a better position to preside effectively during the final consideration by the assembly." (RONR (12th ed.) 52:2(a)).  

May some of my friends humour me and provide some context to this rationale, i.e. what is meant by "any difficulties that may arise in the committee." Perhaps I need to be quicker this evening, but I cannot think of a scenario as RONR describes.

A discussion on the appropriateness of when an assembly may elect to use either the committee of the whole or the quasi committee of the whole may be fruitful. RONR provides that the former is better suited for large assemblies, and the latter is ideal for meetings of medium size; perhaps that is relevant?

Thank you! 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.