The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Things have only gotten worse/ our board minutes secret

Elbie70

I originally posted questions regarding the fact that our president refuses to put acceptance of minutes on the agenda of board and general membership meetings. I thank everyone for answering my questions. Well, things have gone downhill. We had a BOD meeting yesterday, and at the end I brought up that question of why BOD minutes were never put on the agenda for acceptance and that general meeting minutes are not on the general meeting agenda. Although the president does ask for corrections online, the corrected minutes are never brought before the BOD or membership for acceptance. The president went ballistic and started yelling at me. He said he would resign if he had to do this.  I was told by the president and the other directors that they did not care about RRO and the bylaws. Those rules are full of minutiae and following them are a slippery slope that just causes more work for the officers. I tried to explain that it would not take but a minute to accept the corrected minutes. The Sec did finally say that he could send out the corrected minute, but that did not calm things down. Finally, one of the directors made the motion that, "The president is allowed to run meetings anyway he wants". This was seconded. All but myself voted for the motion. I guess that my question is - are the board minutes secret? We are a 501 non-profit.

Thank you for your attention.

Elbie

On 4/5/2023 at 7:44 PM, Elbie70 said:

I guess that my question is - are the board minutes secret?

So far as the rules of RONR are concerned, all board members have a right to view minutes of board meetings. Persons who are not board members do not have a right to view minutes of board meetings.

There may well also be rules in applicable law regarding this matter. Those rules would take precedence.

Since the board apparently has no interest in following the rules, however, (either Robert's Rules or the organization's own rules), clearly more drastic action is needed, such as getting new board members. See FAQ #20.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.