The Official RONR Q & A Forums

error on mailed vote

Guest Jaylee

On 9/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, Guest Jaylee said:

If a ballot mailing was not sent in a timely matter and is considered void by the organizations bylaws, what should happen with those ballots?

Further clarification may be desirable. But my understanding is that a ballot is submitted after the polls are closed under the organization's rules. It seems to me that such ballots are not counted in the result.

It may be prudent to still retain such ballots for a period of time, in the event there is a dispute over the organization's rules on this matter.

On 9/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, Guest Jaylee said:

Also, what if there is an error on the ballot itself? 

It depends on the nature of the error.

I read this question differently.  It sounded like a mass mailing of ballots was conducted to all members, but that mailing was not carried out in the appropriate time frame.  (The purpose of this time restriction is not made clear.)

The question lacks many pertinent details, but the general advice on elections is that the Membership (not, say, an executive board) answers all questions that arise in the course of an election, if the rules in RONR apply.   This is done by the normal method of making motions, debating them, and voting.  Further, the general rule says that you obey your bylaws, and repair your mistakes in the fairest way possible.

Edited by Gary Novosielski
clarity

On 9/7/2023 at 10:13 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

I read this question differently.  It sounded like a mass mailing of ballots was conducted to all members, but that mailing was not carried out in the appropriate time frame.  (The purpose of this time restriction is not made clear.)

I concur this is another possible reading of the question. If that is the correct reading, I do not think we have sufficient facts to answer the question, and would need more information regarding the organization's rules on this matter.

On 9/9/2023 at 7:14 AM, Josh Martin said:

I concur this is another possible reading of the question. If that is the correct reading, I do not think we have sufficient facts to answer the question, and would need more information regarding the organization's rules on this matter.

Yes, and it doesn't look like we're going to get any.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.