The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes Request (run around)

steward101

Hello, I am running for Sec/Tres in my local union. One of the things im pressing is the availability of meeting minutes. I would like them available online once members log in to have access to them.  The current bylaws here "Record and maintain the minutes of all meetings of the Local, the Local Executive Board, or Local Officers and shall have such minutes on file at the local office available for inspection by any member in good standing at any time." I sent an email this past Saturday requesting an email of the minutes, fully expecting to be told to come to the office. I sent a 2nd email Monday 2pm requesting again. The president replied the next day, to save space here his replies are useless and he would only reply once a day.(my opinion just dragging it out) I had to request to hear from the actual Sec/Tres who has been on this entire email chain. He finally replied Wednesday basically to tell me how unavailable he is. No time this week as he was in meetings all day wednesday off thursday and working his actual job friday and saturday. He was free only during his paid working hours 8-4:30pm Monday and Wednesday next week. Issue being I am also 8-4:30pm M-F next week. I am a steward 17 years been a very active one and know these guys all pretty well. Its pretty clear im being avoided on purpose. My question is whats my next step? other than letting my members know id be a better candidate for the position due to his lack of availability. Ive put in plenty of unpaid hours over the years. Next issue is were getting a financial committee up and running again and if this is how hes being about minutes i cant imagine how hes gonna be about Financial information. Thanks for any info.

On 9/28/2023 at 6:46 AM, steward101 said:

I am running for Sec/Tres in my local union. One of the things im pressing is the availability of meeting minutes. I would like them available online once members log in to have access to them.  The current bylaws here "Record and maintain the minutes of all meetings of the Local, the Local Executive Board, or Local Officers and shall have such minutes on file at the local office available for inspection by any member in good standing at any time."... My question is whats my next step?

My advice would be seek to amend the rules to make the minutes available online, as you suggest.

My advice would be seek to amend the rules to make the minutes available online, as you suggest.

Yes plan do get that amendment but is there a way to get better compliance now?
what do you feel about me letting the membership know of the difficulty of obtaining them and lack of availability from our current Sec/Tres. Ballots are out and due 10/3 .

Edited by steward101

On 9/28/2023 at 8:11 AM, steward101 said:

Yes plan do get that amendment but is there a way to get better compliance now?

Well, at a meeting of the membership, instructions could be adopted in this matter, or disciplinary action could be pursued, but the best way to get better compliance is likely to find a new Secretary.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:11 AM, steward101 said:

what do you feel about me letting the membership know of the difficulty of obtaining them and lack of availability from our current Sec/Tres.

I don't see a problem with this.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.