The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Competing Bylaws Amendments

Guest Koby

My organization recently had a proposed bylaws amendment (a main motion). I had an alternative vision, but rather than offer an amendment (I thought it would be confusing to members [and myself]  if I were striking-and-inserting on the bylaws amendment, which already involves striking and inserting), I told members that if they vote down the first proposal, I would offer a competing bylaws amendment. Both had proper notice to be raised at the meeting.

My two questions

1. Even though the pending question was the first Bylaw amendment, was it in order that discussion went in to the merits of both of the competing proposals?

2. Though RONR specifically acknowledges that it's okay to raise a second proposal instead of an amendment, is it particularly unfair to do so in a case with a 2/3rd approval threshold? In my case, the first proposal failed with a 60/40 split, and the second succeeded easily because members felt that some change needed to be made. If I had raised the second proposal as an amendment, it would likely have failed with a 40/60 split, and the original motion would have carried. Was a rule or principle violated here?

On 11/3/2023 at 5:52 PM, Guest Koby said:

My organization recently had a proposed bylaws amendment (a main motion). I had an alternative vision, but rather than offer an amendment (I thought it would be confusing to members [and myself]  if I were striking-and-inserting on the bylaws amendment, which already involves striking and inserting), I told members that if they vote down the first proposal, I would offer a competing bylaws amendment. Both had proper notice to be raised at the meeting.

My two questions

1. Even though the pending question was the first Bylaw amendment, was it in order that discussion went in to the merits of both of the competing proposals

Such debate is permissible when helpful in pointing out particular, alleged deficiencies in the pending proposal to amend.

2. Though RONR specifically acknowledges that it's okay to raise a second proposal instead of an amendment, is it particularly unfair to do so in a case with a 2/3rd approval threshold?

No, not at all.

In my case, the first proposal failed with a 60/40 split, and the second succeeded easily because members felt that some change needed to be made. If I had raised the second proposal as an amendment, it would likely have failed with a 40/60 split, and the original motion would have carried. Was a rule or principle violated here?

No rule or principle has been violated, and I'm not at all sure that your assumptions as to how the voting would go are valid assumptions. 

In any event, the course of action that you followed was entirely in order.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.