The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual Meeting-- Change of Agenda by Assembly

Billy D

Our Food Coop will have its Annual Meeting soon. The Proposed agenda by the Board of Directors is very limited and restrictive in an effort to shield themselves from direct questions providing accountability after a tumultuous year. As I read in the R R Eleventh Edition, I see and basically understand the process for altering an agenda, but I want to check with the "experts". I will include a few passages below from our Bylaws that may influence the power of Robert's Rules to affect that change.

#1- THE BYLAWS SAY - The Board shall convene an Annual Meeting of the Members of the Coop, to consider only matters warned in the notice of that meeting,....etc

#2- THE BYLAWS SAY - Questions concerning procedure at at Annual Meetings of the Members shall be resolved by means of reference to the most recent edition of Robert's Rules of Order except where the Board has superseded them with written policy statements or prior votes to observe other procedures.

#3- THE BYLAWS SAY - The Coop is guided by the seven cooperative principles, as articulated in the International Alliance in 1995

Do either of the Bylaw provisions #1 or #2 noted above negate the opportunity for agenda revision that is presented in RR? Does the Bylaw provision mentioned as item #1, fulfill the "written policy statements or prior votes to observe other procedures",  mentioned in item #2?

On #3 above - I included this but I should maybe assume that those "Cooperative Principles" are not binding upon us since it says we are "guided" only?

What I would plan to do is to insert into the agenda -- 2 items for a vote, (The Bylaws provide for "voting to conduct other business" with approval by a simple majority). And include an allotted amount of time for the members of the assembly to ask direct questions of the Board which is not allowed by the current, printed and distributed agenda, which has strict time allotments for each topic of discussion, and a firm ending time. It is my understanding that the members are the ones with the ultimate authority to set the time allotments and limitations? 

Another question - Is there a counter parliamentary procedure that can thwart the attempt to make the changes to the agenda, at the outset, as the motion is made and the vote is taken?

I said above, that the meeting is soon.. real soon, like tomorrow night!! ... and I am flying by the seat of my pants as usual. Any help on this is so greatly appreciated.

Thank You !!

Billy D.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, Billy D said:

Do either of the Bylaw provisions #1 or #2 noted above negate the opportunity for agenda revision that is presented in RR? Does the Bylaw provision mentioned as item #1, fulfill the "written policy statements or prior votes to observe other procedures",  mentioned in item #2?

Likely, yes. Notice and an agenda are two different things, but if all they've sent as notice is an agenda, then you'd be limited to the business items on that agenda.

#1- THE BYLAWS SAY - The Board shall convene an Annual Meeting of the Members of the Coop, to consider only matters warned in the notice of that meeting,....etc

Do the bylaws say whom is to distribute such notice? If the board, well, you've turned over the powers of the membership to them, in large part.

#2- THE BYLAWS SAY - Questions concerning procedure at at Annual Meetings of the Members shall be resolved by means of reference to the most recent edition of Robert's Rules of Order except where the Board has superseded them with written policy statements or prior votes to observe other procedures.

This turns over power to set procedure to the board.

What I would plan to do is to insert into the agenda -- 2 items for a vote, (The Bylaws provide for "voting to conduct other business" with approval by a simple majority).

Seemingly, these items would not be noticed, and so cannot be considered.

And include an allotted amount of time for the members of the assembly to ask direct questions of the Board which is not allowed by the current, printed and distributed agenda, which has strict time allotments for each topic of discussion, and a firm ending time. It is my understanding that the members are the ones with the ultimate authority to set the time allotments and limitations? 

Ordinarily, but your organization turned this power over to the board in the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.