The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a vote be held open during a recess?

Guest CML

Is there a specific provision that disallows a vote being held open during a recess? E.g., a vote is called, a recess is called, the meeting is called back to order and the vote is closed. I think this is obviously not allowed (a recess is a period when business is not conducted, a vote is certainly business, therefore you cannot vote during a recess), but a person in my organization continues to bring this idea up. Our bylaws state that Robert's Rules govern meetings (unless some element of the bylaws supersedes a particular matter), and I would like to be able to point to a specific citation get some resolution on this. Thank you!

On 1/19/2024 at 4:04 PM, Guest CML said:

Is there a specific provision that disallows a vote being held open during a recess? E.g., a vote is called, a recess is called, the meeting is called back to order and the vote is closed. I think this is obviously not allowed (a recess is a period when business is not conducted, a vote is certainly business, therefore you cannot vote during a recess), but a person in my organization continues to bring this idea up. Our bylaws state that Robert's Rules govern meetings (unless some element of the bylaws supersedes a particular matter), and I would like to be able to point to a specific citation get some resolution on this. Thank you!

"When a vote is being taken, no interruption is permitted from the time that any member has actually voted until all have presumably voted, unless as sometimes occurs in ballot voting, other business is being transacted during voting. For points of order regarding the conduct of a vote, see below (45:9)."   (RONR, 12th ed., 45:6)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.