The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Signing of board minutes

Guest Juanita

We are a non-profit organization. We hold board meetings every other month, except we meet monthly in the months of March, April and May. May is the beginning of our new board year.

Our current board secretary does not always attend the board meetings and therefore cannot sign the approved minutes of the prior meeting of which they were in attendance. I mail the minutes with an enclosed envelope for return of signed minutes. The secretary states will be in attendance, then does not attend the meeting nor lets me know they will not be at the meeting. I always have the prior meeting minutes printed for their signature at the next meeting. How do I handle signing of the prior meetings minutes? Do I mail the paperwork to the person for signature even though they were not in attendance? Have the appointed acting secretary, for the current meeting, sign the prior meetings minutes? As this person will be rotating off the board in April, who would sign the April minutes? Do I mail the minutes for their signature? Or what? 

So actually, the minutes are signed when they are submitted, by the person who took the minutes. The minutes are then initialed when they are approved, by the person serving as secretary when they are approved.

So following that in the future should avoid these problems.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.