The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Clarification" to the previous meeting's minutes

Guest Jupiter05

Someone called the secretary and requested that additional words be added to the previous meeting's minutes. She did as requested by the board member and then sent an email to everyone with a "clarification" cap on money to be spent that was not discussed or in the original motion. The "clarification" is actually adding details to a resolution and it is not what I voted on. What do I do?

On 2/16/2024 at 11:26 AM, Guest Jupiter05 said:

Someone called the secretary and requested that additional words be added to the previous meeting's minutes. She did as requested by the board member and then sent an email to everyone with a "clarification" cap on money to be spent that was not discussed or in the original motion. The "clarification" is actually adding details to a resolution and it is not what I voted on. What do I do?

Did this occur before or after the minutes were approved?

On 2/16/2024 at 11:26 AM, Guest Jupiter05 said:

If these minutes have not yet been (read and) approved at the subsequent meeting, then when approval becomes pending you can offer a correction (essentially an amendment) to the draft minutes, striking whatever language was included that you believe did not really take place.  The minutes should contain the exact text of the resolution as adopted.  If there is disagreement on corrections, a majority vote will decide the question.

If these minutes were already approved, you can make a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted (§35) to correct the minutes.   
This motion:

• requires a second; 
  • is debatable;
  • is amendable; and
  • for passage requires any one of the following:
    • a two-thirds vote;
    • a majority vote if previous notice is given; or
    • a majority of the entire membership.

A slight nuance:

On 2/16/2024 at 1:31 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

If these minutes were already approved with this "clarification", you can make a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted (§35) to correct the minutes. 

If, on the other hand, the minutes were approved before the "clarification" was added, then you should raise a Point of Order at the next meeting. The addition of words to the already-approved minutes can only be done by the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. It cannot be done by anyone else.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.