The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive session

Guest Dan Honemann

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Since the BOD did not call executive session and the president did, is everything still to be kept confidential?<<

Yes. The other board members, by their silence, agreed. The decision was made "without objection" (or, &quo"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

All members of the body that is meeting (e.g. the board) must be notified of all meetings.

But any group of people (e.g. just officers) is free to get together to discuss whatever they like. It's just not a MEETING in the parliamentary sense of t"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

A Porter,

(It would have been better if you asked your question in a new thread, instead of piggybacking on someone else's thread.)

---

>>Can a [X] call an executive session of just officers not the other board members? <<"

The BOD was notified at the start of our board meeting that we were going into executive session by the president. Since we didn't know what executive session was, we objected. The president had a printed explanation that stated 72 hours notice had to b"

>>The president had a printed explanation that stated 72 hours notice had to be given and it had to be on the agenda.<<

Neither of those things is required by RONR. Under RONR, it only takes a majority vote or unanimous consent. No no"

KG - the majority of our board decided to spend $8000 on a hot tub. Susie Q, went to an atty and found their motion contradicted the bylaws. At the next board meeting the president called executive session. 8 of the 9 board members were present and abou"

Your situation appears to be beyond what can be handled in this online forum. I would suggest obtaining the services of a professional parliamentarian in your area who can sit down with you and go through all the facts and matters."

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Was this correct usage of executive session?<<

An assembly (e.g. a board) can meet in executive session whenever it wants, for whatever reason it wants, or for no reason at all. Indeed, RONR notes that many boards meet EXCLUSIVELY i"

> 8 of the 9 board members were present and about 25 members-they were there to hear the discussion of the board... <

It sounds like there is considerable interest among the general membership about this issue. As Mr. Mountcastle pointed ou"

Hi Mr. Mountcastle,

I am interested in your reply as I thought 'executive session" per what our pres said was "strictly top secret" - what happens here-stays here. however, you replied that if a board member was not present he may reque"

Guest Gary c Tesser

You can get everyone a shower stall for a lot less that $8k. And the history of humanity shows that going without a bath for a year never killed anyone, and until advertisers of soaps and deodorants (need I mention "body washes" or other drivel"

I return, my lowbrow cineaste' inclinations thwarted once again by the airily disdainful caprices of an arbitrary, dice-throwing universe, offering me nought but Bette Davis movies on Turner, comin out my ears already.

So:

Aubrey (3/10/"

Gary, Thanks for your reply. We figured out the prez was giving us a bunch of baloney when she said she took it off the internet from a sight called "Parliamentary Procedure". She even gave us the website - but darnit - we couldn't replicate "

Good idea - but how do you go about doing it? How do you suspend the rules? Who calls the meeting to suspend the rules? The minority in this situation gathered and decided there were not enough votes to oust the boardmembers that will not uphold the bylaw"

> The minority in this situation gathered and decided there were not enough votes to oust the boardmembers that will not uphold the bylaws <

There's the problem. The motion to suspend the rules takes a two-thirds vote to prevail. If the maj"

Archived